Do you need a root canal? Root canal therapy is needed when the pulp of the tooth is inflamed, infected or dead. The pulp can become damaged by several conditions, including: tooth decay, cracks in the tooth, a large or deep filling, trauma, or leakage under an old filling or crown. Led by dentist Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With a Smile, LLC in Fall River, MA offers root canal treatments to the patients they serve. Here are 5 signs you may need you a root canal.
1. You have tooth pain. Severe tooth pain is usually that first signal to a person that they need a root canal. The pain can range from mild to intense. The pain may get worse when you bite down on the tooth. Root canal therapy is performed to eliminate the pain. Root canal therapy has the reputation of being extremely painful. However, the procedure from your dentist in Fall River is no more painful than getting a filling.
2. Your gums are swollen. Gum inflammation near the tooth is a sign that root canal therapy is needed. An infection can cause inflammation. However, swelling does not always mean infection is present. The inflammation can range from being mild to severe. In severe cases, the inflammation may extend into your face or neck.
3. Hot and cold bother you. Sensitivity to heat or cold is another sign that may indicate the need for root canal treatment. Tooth sensitivity causes pain when the tooth is exposed to hot or cold temperatures through foods or beverages. Your tooth will no longer be sensitive to hot and cold temperatures after treatment.
4. You have a pimple on your gums. A pimple or bump on your gum is a sign that you may need root canal therapy. The bump on your gum may disappear and then come back. This bump is an accumulation of pus that is formed as a result of an infection. Your dental practitioner will treat this by performing a root canal.
5. You have a darkened tooth. One darkened or discolored tooth is a sign that root canal therapy is needed. When the roots of the infected tooth have died, the tooth may turn black, dark yellow, brown, or gray. Tooth discoloration can also be caused by a damaged filling or severe tooth decay, so visiting a dental practitioner for a checkup is recommended.
Never put off until tomorrow what you should do right now. If you need root canal therapy, call Call Dentistry With a Smile at (508) 672-6471 now to schedule a dental consultation with Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With a Smile, LLC in Fall River, MA. We will help you break free of tooth pain and get your life back.
Are you in need of a dental implant?
Dental implants are a cosmetic and restorative procedure that beautifies your smile, reinforces jaw strength, and boosts confidence. Your dentist in Fall River, MA, Dr. Suhair Shamoon, uses them to rebuild her patients' smiles—read on to learn more!
What's a dental implant?
Dental implants consist of a titanium post that is placed into the jawbone to replace a missing tooth or several missing teeth. The support it provides enables proper eating functionality as well as jawbone stimulation (this prevents the bone from shrinking).
The procedure is quite simple and straightforward:
- The dentist applies local anesthetic to the area undergoing the procedure.
- Any remaining decayed or broken tooth matter is removed and the titanium post inserted into the jawbone.
- The doctor allows the site to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months.
- The process of osseointegration takes its full course during these months, where the titanium post fuses to the jawbone.
- Your Fall River dentist will then re-open the area, insert an abutment and place a crown over the abutment.
If you have any sort of post-operative discomfort, you can use over-the-counter pain medication and/or ice the area to reduce inflammation.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
On top of being able to last a lifetime, implants have a number of other benefits, as well. Some of these include:
- A high success rate (95%)
- They don't slip out of place like dentures
- The restore bite and chewing function
- They strengthen the jawbone to avoid shrinkage
- They fill in dental gaps
- They look natural and can give you a beautiful smile
Interested? Give us a call!
If you have questions or concerns, call your Fall River, MA, dentist today! The dental health professionals at Dentistry With a Smile can be reached at (508) 672-6471, so don't hesitate to reach out.
How dental implants from your dentist in Fall River, MA, can rebuild your smile
You’ve probably heard a lot about dental implants, and you might be wondering how they work. The truth is, dental implants work just like natural teeth. They are an amazing addition to your smile because they are virtually indistinguishable from your natural teeth in both appearance and function. Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With A Smile in Fall River, MA, offers dental implants to rebuild your smile.
Dental implants have multiple parts, starting with the dental implant screw. This screw is inserted into your jaw during a simple procedure done right in the office. Over time, bone begins to fuse with the screw, locking it firmly in place.
The screw is made of a unique biocompatible material known as titanium, so your body won’t reject it. In fact, dental implants are the most successful surgical implant, with a success rate of over 95 percent, according to the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Once the screw is firmly embedded in bone, it functions as the “root” of your missing tooth.
A small piece known as the abutment is placed over the screw. The abutment is a connector which attaches the dental implant crown to the dental implant screw.
After the implant area has healed, the beautiful dental implant crown is placed on top of the abutment. Dental implant crowns are made of high-grade dental ceramic that reflects light, just like natural tooth enamel. Dental ceramic also resists stains, so you know your dental implant will stay sparkling white for years.
Dental implants are a popular choice for tooth replacement because:
They are versatile; they can be used to replace a single missing tooth or multiple missing teeth. They are also the perfect choice for people who have worn dentures or partials for a long period of time.
- They are permanent; they become a permanent part of your smile that you never take out.
- They are beautiful and natural-looking; they are virtually indistinguishable from natural teeth.
- They are easy to maintain; you brush and floss dental implants just like natural teeth.
If you are considering dental implants, you are making the right choice. To find out more about how dental implants can rebuild your smile, call Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With A Smile in Fall River, MA, today!
A tooth that has sustained exterior damage but is still healthy and viable on the inside can often be restored with a dental crown. Crowns are very common—approximately 40 million crowns are installed each year according to a study published by in The Journal of the American Dental Association. Visit Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry with a Smile, LLC in Fall River, MA, to have your tooth checked and see if a crown can help strengthen and restore your smile.
Dental Crowns for Your Smile
Your teeth are strong, but because of how often they are used in the course of a day they are still vulnerable to damage. If you play a contact sport, the risk of damage multiplies significantly. Luckily, dental crowns can fix a lot of problems with individual teeth, and they can even help fill in smile gaps. They are custom-designed tooth coverings formed from a resilient material, like porcelain, which closely match the look, feel, and function of natural tooth enamel. They are smoothed and contoured by your dentist so that they’re the same size and shape as your other teeth.
Restoring Tooth Damage
The most significant benefit of a dental crown is its ability to restore a tooth that’s been damaged. Common problems include cracks in the enamel, chipping around the edges, and enamel erosion from acidic substances or tooth grinding. A crown installed by Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With A Smile, LLC replaces the damaged enamel, giving the tooth a new hard surface that will last for up to 15 years (possibly longer if you keep your teeth clean and well-maintained).
Beautifying Your Smile
Another benefit of a dental crown is its ability to reinvent your smile, making it look more aesthetically pleasing. If every time you smile you find yourself focused on a single tooth that’s discolored, chipped, or out of place, getting a custom crown installed may be the perfect resolution. Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With A Smile, LLC will check your other teeth to choose a crown color and shape that will best fit your smile.
Visit Your Dentist for Dental Crowns
Restoring a single tooth with a dental crown can make a huge difference for your smile. Contact the dental team at Dentistry with a Smile, LLC in Fall River, MA, today to schedule a crown consultation. Call (508) 672-6471 today to set a time to visit with Dr. Suhair Shamoon.
What's your smile worth to you? Certainly, you invest in daily oral hygiene. Plus, you faithfully visit your dentist at Dentistry With a Smile in Fall River semi-annually for a check-up and professional cleaning. But, what about your smile alignment? Have you considered the benefits of orthodontic care? Dr. Suhair Shamoon offers braces to qualified patients of all ages. She desires that smiles look as beautiful and healthy as possible.
Qualifying for braces
All braces are custom-made and custom-fitted. Whether someone needs metal, ceramic or lingual (tongue-side) braces, a treatment plan from your Fall River dentist is unique to the individual case and patient preference.
While most dentists, Dr. Shamoon included, recommend orthodontic evaluations for children by age seven, the majority of youngsters receive braces between the ages of 10 and 14. It's the optimal time because of the fluidity of the jaw and its rapid growth. Typically, young patients require traditional metal braces to achieve best smile appearance and dental bite.
On the other hand, older teens and adults often prefer treatment with ceramic or lingual braces when possible. Many teens and adults do need treatment with conventional orthodontic methods and appliances. It all depends on what your Fall River dentist finds when she examines and X-rays your mouth and supporting bone structure.
Problems addressed by braces
Braces change how the top and bottom teeth come together or occlude. Overbite, crossbite. underbite and openbite are seen frequently at Dentistry With a Smile. Braces also correct alignment issues such as gaps and crowding, thus avoiding difficult brushing and flossing, decay and gum disease and excessive wear and tear on tooth structure.
In addition, who doesn't love a beautiful smile? The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry says that most Americans see a smile as a wonderful personal asset which helps people socially and professionally. So, dental patients undergoing treatment with braces look forward to exceptional smiles upon completion of their treatment plans.
Are braces right for you?
At Dentistry With a Smile, Dr. Suhair Shamoon can tell you for sure. Why not call her office today and book your orthodontic consultation? Phone (508) 672-6471.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.