Posts for category: Dental Procedure
Do you need a root canal? Root canal therapy is needed when the pulp of the tooth is inflamed, infected or dead. The pulp can become damaged by several conditions, including: tooth decay, cracks in the tooth, a large or deep filling, trauma, or leakage under an old filling or crown. Led by dentist Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With a Smile, LLC in Fall River, MA offers root canal treatments to the patients they serve. Here are 5 signs you may need you a root canal.
1. You have tooth pain. Severe tooth pain is usually that first signal to a person that they need a root canal. The pain can range from mild to intense. The pain may get worse when you bite down on the tooth. Root canal therapy is performed to eliminate the pain. Root canal therapy has the reputation of being extremely painful. However, the procedure from your dentist in Fall River is no more painful than getting a filling.
2. Your gums are swollen. Gum inflammation near the tooth is a sign that root canal therapy is needed. An infection can cause inflammation. However, swelling does not always mean infection is present. The inflammation can range from being mild to severe. In severe cases, the inflammation may extend into your face or neck.
3. Hot and cold bother you. Sensitivity to heat or cold is another sign that may indicate the need for root canal treatment. Tooth sensitivity causes pain when the tooth is exposed to hot or cold temperatures through foods or beverages. Your tooth will no longer be sensitive to hot and cold temperatures after treatment.
4. You have a pimple on your gums. A pimple or bump on your gum is a sign that you may need root canal therapy. The bump on your gum may disappear and then come back. This bump is an accumulation of pus that is formed as a result of an infection. Your dental practitioner will treat this by performing a root canal.
5. You have a darkened tooth. One darkened or discolored tooth is a sign that root canal therapy is needed. When the roots of the infected tooth have died, the tooth may turn black, dark yellow, brown, or gray. Tooth discoloration can also be caused by a damaged filling or severe tooth decay, so visiting a dental practitioner for a checkup is recommended.
Never put off until tomorrow what you should do right now. If you need root canal therapy, call Call Dentistry With a Smile at (508) 672-6471 now to schedule a dental consultation with Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With a Smile, LLC in Fall River, MA. We will help you break free of tooth pain and get your life back.
Are you in need of a dental implant?
Dental implants are a cosmetic and restorative procedure that beautifies your smile, reinforces jaw strength, and boosts confidence. Your dentist in Fall River, MA, Dr. Suhair Shamoon, uses them to rebuild her patients' smiles—read on to learn more!
What's a dental implant?
Dental implants consist of a titanium post that is placed into the jawbone to replace a missing tooth or several missing teeth. The support it provides enables proper eating functionality as well as jawbone stimulation (this prevents the bone from shrinking).
The procedure is quite simple and straightforward:
- The dentist applies local anesthetic to the area undergoing the procedure.
- Any remaining decayed or broken tooth matter is removed and the titanium post inserted into the jawbone.
- The doctor allows the site to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months.
- The process of osseointegration takes its full course during these months, where the titanium post fuses to the jawbone.
- Your Fall River dentist will then re-open the area, insert an abutment and place a crown over the abutment.
If you have any sort of post-operative discomfort, you can use over-the-counter pain medication and/or ice the area to reduce inflammation.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
On top of being able to last a lifetime, implants have a number of other benefits, as well. Some of these include:
- A high success rate (95%)
- They don't slip out of place like dentures
- The restore bite and chewing function
- They strengthen the jawbone to avoid shrinkage
- They fill in dental gaps
- They look natural and can give you a beautiful smile
Interested? Give us a call!
If you have questions or concerns, call your Fall River, MA, dentist today! The dental health professionals at Dentistry With a Smile can be reached at (508) 672-6471, so don't hesitate to reach out.
What's your smile worth to you? Certainly, you invest in daily oral hygiene. Plus, you faithfully visit your dentist at Dentistry With a Smile in Fall River semi-annually for a check-up and professional cleaning. But, what about your smile alignment? Have you considered the benefits of orthodontic care? Dr. Suhair Shamoon offers braces to qualified patients of all ages. She desires that smiles look as beautiful and healthy as possible.
Qualifying for braces
All braces are custom-made and custom-fitted. Whether someone needs metal, ceramic or lingual (tongue-side) braces, a treatment plan from your Fall River dentist is unique to the individual case and patient preference.
While most dentists, Dr. Shamoon included, recommend orthodontic evaluations for children by age seven, the majority of youngsters receive braces between the ages of 10 and 14. It's the optimal time because of the fluidity of the jaw and its rapid growth. Typically, young patients require traditional metal braces to achieve best smile appearance and dental bite.
On the other hand, older teens and adults often prefer treatment with ceramic or lingual braces when possible. Many teens and adults do need treatment with conventional orthodontic methods and appliances. It all depends on what your Fall River dentist finds when she examines and X-rays your mouth and supporting bone structure.
Problems addressed by braces
Braces change how the top and bottom teeth come together or occlude. Overbite, crossbite. underbite and openbite are seen frequently at Dentistry With a Smile. Braces also correct alignment issues such as gaps and crowding, thus avoiding difficult brushing and flossing, decay and gum disease and excessive wear and tear on tooth structure.
In addition, who doesn't love a beautiful smile? The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry says that most Americans see a smile as a wonderful personal asset which helps people socially and professionally. So, dental patients undergoing treatment with braces look forward to exceptional smiles upon completion of their treatment plans.
Are braces right for you?
At Dentistry With a Smile, Dr. Suhair Shamoon can tell you for sure. Why not call her office today and book your orthodontic consultation? Phone (508) 672-6471.
Find out what situations warrant needing root canal treatment in Fall River.
If you have come in complaining of a toothache, then our Fall River, MA, dentist, Dr. Suhair Shamoon, may have told you that you need to get a root canal. What happened? Why do you need a root canal? What is the purpose of this procedure and what happens if you decide not to get one? We are here to answer all of your questions about the common dental procedure.
What is root canal treatment?
Unlike cosmetic dentistry, root canal treatment isn’t an elective dental procedure designed to improve the look of your smile. A root canal is a restorative treatment that is meant to preserve as much of your tooth as possible after decay, infection, or trauma.
When decay, trauma, or an infection has invaded a tooth and affected the dental pulp the pulp will actually begin to deteriorate, causing bacteria to quickly grow within the tooth. These bacteria can cause a dental infection if the problem isn’t caught soon enough. To prevent the bacteria from completely destroying the tooth we will go inside the tooth to remove the pulp and to disinfect the pulp chamber.
Once this is complete, we will need to rebuild and fill the inside of the tooth to restore function and strength back into the tooth. Once the inside of the tooth is filled we will most likely need to place a dental crown over the tooth to provide further protection.
What if I don’t get a root canal?
If you ignore the dental issue altogether and don’t get a root canal, the infection will continue to spread not just throughout the toot but also the roots and surrounding area. Over time, this will leave the tooth so damaged that the only option will be to extract it and replace it. The infection can cause some pretty serious complications to the jawbone, surrounding teeth, gums, and even the brain.
Do you have questions about getting root canal treatment? Are you dealing with dental pain or other symptoms? If so, it’s the right time to call Dentistry with a Smile in Fall River, MA, for the immediate treatment and care you need. Call us today.
Receiving orthodontic treatment used to be thought of as a teenager’s shiny, metal rite of passage. However, with huge leaps of advancement in the orthodontic field, you now have more options than ever to straighten your smile and correct your bite issues. But how can you be sure that you need orthodontic care? Learn some signs that you may need braces and find out more about your options for orthodontic care with Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With a Smile in Fall River, MA.
Signs Your May Need Orthodontic Treatment
If you have ever wished your teeth were straighter, you may need orthodontic treatment. However, there are other, more subtle signs that braces can help your teeth. If your jaw does not line up properly, such as if the top jaw juts out over the bottom or vice versa, you may also benefit from orthodontic care. Additionally, if your jaws cross when you bite down or do not meet in the middle, you may also benefit from braces. Problems chewing or even conditions like TMJ disorder can also indicate a reason for orthodontic care.
Kinds of Braces
If your orthodontist suggests orthodontic care for your smile, you have options when it comes to how you want to straighten your teeth. Traditional braces are tried and true, attaching to the teeth permanently throughout treatment and using metal brackets and wires to move the teeth into their new positions. Ceramic braces use tooth-colored ceramic instead of metal, camouflaging the braces and making them more subtle than silver metal braces. For patients who want their braces completely hidden, lingual braces attach on the back side of the teeth and are completely non-visible from the outside.
Orthodontic Treatment in Fall River, MA
Improving your teeth with orthodontic treatment is easy with help from your orthodontist. The first step to your new smile is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Shamoon to go over your wishes for your results, answer any questions you may have, and address your concerns. For more information on orthodontic treatment, please contact Dr. Shamoon at Dentistry With a Smile in Fall River, MA. Call (508) 672-6471 to schedule your appointment today!