What is a TMJ Disorder?
Find out if your jaw pain and stiffness could be the result of a TMJ disorder.
Do you find that you wake up with an aching, throbbing or painful jaw? Do you notice a surprisingly audible popping sound when you yawn or open your mouth wide? Does eating certain chewy or large foods cause you jaw discomfort? If so, then you might be dealing with a TMJ disorder. Learn more about this condition, its symptoms and how our Fall River, MA dentist, Dr. Suhair Shamoon, can help.
What are TMJ disorders?
TMJ stands for the temporomandibular joint, and TMJ disorders affect how these jaw joints or muscles work. The TMJ is responsible for chewing, speaking and swallowing, as well as other lower jaw movements.
What causes TMJ disorders?
While it isn’t always possible to determine the root cause of this issue common causes include:
- Trauma or injury to the jaw
- Jaw misalignment
- Teeth grinding
- Stress on the jaw
How is it treated?
Fortunately, our Fall River general dentist offers multiple ways to ease and eliminate symptoms related to TMJ disorders. For some sufferers, this condition will go away on its own. But if the problem persists, here are some ways to reduce TMJ-related symptoms:
- Maintain a softer food diet and cut food into small, chewable pieces
- Avoid nail biting, gum chewing and other habits that require wide jaw movements
- Apply an ice pack to the jaw for several minutes at a time to alleviate pain and swelling
- Try meditation or other relaxation techniques to reduce teeth grinding and jaw clenching
- Practice jaw-strengthening exercises (We would be happy to show you some when you visit our office. Just ask!)
- Try wearing a night guard or splint while you sleep to prevent grinding and clenching
Dentistry With A Smile, LLC is here to provide you with the dental care you deserve in the Fall River, MA area. Whether you’re dealing with painful jaw problems or just need to schedule your routine dental cleaning, give us a call today.