Posts for tag: Root Canal Therapy
Do you need a root canal? Root canal therapy is needed when the pulp of the tooth is inflamed, infected or dead. The pulp can become damaged by several conditions, including: tooth decay, cracks in the tooth, a large or deep filling, trauma, or leakage under an old filling or crown. Led by dentist Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With a Smile, LLC in Fall River, MA offers root canal treatments to the patients they serve. Here are 5 signs you may need you a root canal.
1. You have tooth pain. Severe tooth pain is usually that first signal to a person that they need a root canal. The pain can range from mild to intense. The pain may get worse when you bite down on the tooth. Root canal therapy is performed to eliminate the pain. Root canal therapy has the reputation of being extremely painful. However, the procedure from your dentist in Fall River is no more painful than getting a filling.
2. Your gums are swollen. Gum inflammation near the tooth is a sign that root canal therapy is needed. An infection can cause inflammation. However, swelling does not always mean infection is present. The inflammation can range from being mild to severe. In severe cases, the inflammation may extend into your face or neck.
3. Hot and cold bother you. Sensitivity to heat or cold is another sign that may indicate the need for root canal treatment. Tooth sensitivity causes pain when the tooth is exposed to hot or cold temperatures through foods or beverages. Your tooth will no longer be sensitive to hot and cold temperatures after treatment.
4. You have a pimple on your gums. A pimple or bump on your gum is a sign that you may need root canal therapy. The bump on your gum may disappear and then come back. This bump is an accumulation of pus that is formed as a result of an infection. Your dental practitioner will treat this by performing a root canal.
5. You have a darkened tooth. One darkened or discolored tooth is a sign that root canal therapy is needed. When the roots of the infected tooth have died, the tooth may turn black, dark yellow, brown, or gray. Tooth discoloration can also be caused by a damaged filling or severe tooth decay, so visiting a dental practitioner for a checkup is recommended.
Never put off until tomorrow what you should do right now. If you need root canal therapy, call Call Dentistry With a Smile at (508) 672-6471 now to schedule a dental consultation with Dr. Suhair Shamoon at Dentistry With a Smile, LLC in Fall River, MA. We will help you break free of tooth pain and get your life back.